Substance use disorders affect millions of individuals and their families. The resources below offer information, hotlines, helplines, and online platforms to empower individuals and their loved ones with knowledge, guidance, and support. These resources provide a foundation for families impacted by a substance use disorder.
If you have an urgent need, 988 California Suicide and Crisis Hotline provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, across the United States.
Family Support Groups
- Nar-Anon Family Groups: Find a 12-step program for family and friends of people with a substance use disorder.
- SMART Recovery Family & Friends: Meetings, podcasts, and blogs available for family members of people with a substance use disorder.
- American Addiction Centers Family Resources: Helpline information and support groups for families impacted by substance use disorder. Call the support line at 1-877-908-9612 for more information.
- American Addiction Foundation: A list of support groups for families of people with a substance use disorder. Call the support line at 1-800-425-1564 for more information.
- Al-Anon: A mutual support program for people whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking.
- Alateen: A fellowship of young people whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking.
- Families Anonymous: A 12-step fellowship for relatives and friends concerned about the use of drugs or related behavioral problems.
- GRASP: A support organization for those who have lost a loved one to substance use or overdose.
Family Support Publications
- Ark Behavioral Health – Living with an Alcohol Family Member: A resource page for families impacted by alcohol use disorder.
- SAMHSA Families Family Support Guide: A guide for a loved ones dealing with mental and/or substance use disorders.
- American Addiction Centers – How to Help an Alcoholic: Guide to Help Someone With Alcoholism: A resource guide meant to aid those who are helping others struggling with alcoholism.
- SAMHSA – Resources for Families Coping with Mental and Substance Use Disorders: A comprehensive list of resources for families dealing with mental and substance use disorders.
- Behavioral Health Innovators – The Effects Addiction Has On Family Members: A resource article that explains the effects of addiction.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism – Understanding Alcohol Use Disorder: Learn more about alcohol use disorder and alcohol abuse.
- The Center for Motivation and Change – 20-Minute Guide: A guide dedicated to supporting the families and loved ones of people struggling with substance use.
Stop the cycle! Connect young family members to prevention services in your community.
- Drug-Free Communities Coalitions | Drug Overdose | CDC: Find a Drug-Free Community Coalition in your area.
- Prevention of Substance Use and Mental Disorders | SAMHSA: Overview of SAMHSA prevention campaigns and initiatives for substance use and mental disorders.